Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UD AGI - Genesis and RBA in ONE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UD AGI - Genesis and RBA in ONE!

I ordered this AGI from Hoosier Vapes http://www.hoosiervapes.com/AGI-Drip...zer_p_186.html

I have been a fan of UD (Youde) since I received my first two AGA genesis. Then I went through several of the AGA-T, AGA-T2, and AGA-T+. So far after testing every clone out there (still waiting on the RSST), the UD genesis are by far the best quality out there. As soon as I heard UD was making a "transformer" style genesis that turns into a rebuildable drip atomizer based off the AGA-T+ platform, I knew I had to have one.

For basically the price of an AGA-T with pyrex tank you get a genesis with pyrex tank and a drip atomizer like the UDI. Lets take a quick run through of the design and how it works for anyone that is curious.

This first pictures is the AGI in genesis mode how it comes right out of the package (it's sitting on an eGo ring just to stand it up, that does not come with it). They simplified the tip cap a little, but other than that the design is very similar to the AGA-T+/2. It does come with a pyrex tank which is nice if you have any problems with juice that normally cracks tanks.

Here is a glimpse "under the hood" There is a screw that I took out near the negative post used for silica setups, that I use for a fill hole. The top cap is held on by two o-rings, but fits really well and tight unlike some of the previous AGA-T versions. One of the nice things about the AGI is that it has a little lip around the base the top cap fits on for when it is in drip mode. The lip actually works out rather well in genesis mode to catch any condensation or juice spill so juice doesn't get on the o-rings for the top cap and keeps it nice and tight. Even though it was meant for the drip mode it has added benefit in genesis mode as well.

In the AGI there are a couple of extra holes in the top base making a silica set up super easy. All of these holes are filled with recessed little screws that require the included allen wrench to take them out. The reason all of these holes are plugged with the little screws are to make the top completely sealed (including the wick hole) for when it's in drip mode. You will see later the top base is the bottom in drip mode. The picture below shows the base of the tank in genesis mode on the left and the bottom of the top base upside down on the right. On the left you can see the bottom has a spring attached that makes contact with the top for the positive connection through the center tube in genesis mode. The bottom of the top base has a 510 connection that screws into the center tube to hold the tank firmly in place. There are clear silicone pieces that fit into the top and bottom to cushion the tank.

Here is the top and bottom of the genesis with the center tube unscrewed. The spring remains in the bottom since there is no reason for it to be removed. The bottom part is not used in drip mode.

Below is a picture is the accessories that come with the AGI. It comes with some NiChrome, stainless steel mesh, silica, allen wrench, extra positive post screw, extra small plug screw (I think this was an extra), and o-rings.

Here is a picture of it in drip mode. It is simply the top base from the genesis and the same top cap. That is why the top of the genesis has a 510 connection that screws into the center post. In drip mode it becomes your 510 connection. Drip mode is simply everything above the clear tank with all of the holes filled with the little plug screws to keep it from leaking and built with silica.

This is a 22mm atomizer, the air hole is approximately 1mm (which I like, but can be drilled out if you like an open draw) so the draw is a little tight, but the flavor is really amazing. The wick hole is about 2mm so a little on the smaller side (similar to the AGA-T+), but with a solid SS mesh wick it really keeps up on the wicking and I didn't have any problems with dry hits. For full disclosure I do vape with the fill hole screw out. Over all the feel is really solid and again UD has made a really nice $30ish atomizer. If you like the AGA-T+/2s you will really like this. If you are new to RBAs/Genesis this would be a GREAT atomizer to pick up since it will give you the chance to play with a genesis and rebuildable drip atomizer (RDA) and you only have to buy one unit.

The only complaint I had (although a LOT of the clones from any company suffers from this) was that the ss mesh wick is a little too far from the center post in genesis mode. If you are new to genesis this may give you a hot spot on the top coil and be a little frustrating to set up at first. If they would have just made a "genesis mode" screw that had a wider top it would have fixed everything. I modded the extra screw with a washer to accomplish this for anyone completely new it may help. The screw is pictured below with a M3 washer although an M2 (harder to find) would probably fit better.

I highly recommend this to anyone that wants the best of both worlds (genesis/RDA) for one price. If you only want a genesis I would just stick with the AGA-Ts since they are a little cheaper and less parts. And if you only want a RDA I would stick with the IGO-L for the same reason, or any of the much smaller RDAs out there.
    Last edited by MattU29; 04-12-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have had the opportunity to try out the AGI and want to share my findings with you all.

When I received the AGI I immediately took it apart to thoroughly clean prior to using.
    I found that the positive post has a spring instead of a solid pin. I would have preferred a solid rod to avoid potential increased voltage loss through the spring. Although I really did not notice a voltage loss when using the AGI.

I do like the over all appearance of the AGI especially on a very shiney mod like the CCTS. It is approximately ΒΌ inch short than the AGA-T and seems considerably lighter in weight. The RSST is about 1/8 inch shorter than the AGI and similar in weight.

The wick hole is a bit smaller than what I prefer and I would have liked the wick hole closer to the center post in genesis mode as it would make it easier to avoid hot spots on the top coil especially for vapers just getting into genisis atties but many of the genisis have this same issue.

The set up I used was a SS mesh wick wick a 6/7 coil wrap. The flavor was very good maybe a bit better that the AGA-T due to the slightly smaller top chamber.

I personally like the size of the air hole as I prefer a stiffer draw however I think some vapers may want to enlarge the airhole slightly.

Initially I had a leaking issue on the AGI but have since discovered it was user error. Due to the design anytime you remove the AGI from a mod or remove the top cap to refill it is very easy to unscrew it in a manner that makes the tube become loose between the top and bottom caps causing the leaking.

I have been using it for 3 days now with no leaks by always holding the base (silver 510 connection area) firmly when removing it from my mod and/or when removing the top cap to refill.

The platform area where the neg/pos posts are has a rim for use in the drip mode and to collect condensation in the genisis mode which is a nice feature.

Using the AGI in drip mode you first remove the top cap, unscrew the top and set the tube and bottom to the side as you won't need it for the drip mode. Screw the negative terminal used for the genisis down all the way. In the dripper mode it worked comparably to an IGO-L RBA.

I think most vapers would prefer to have separate genisis and RBAs although this would be a great way for someone to try out a genisis and RBA without having to purchase them separately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these and I usually use it in genesis mode but with a silica wick which i feed down into the tank through the wick hole and also the filler hole. If I want to use as a dripper all I do is pull the wicks back up from the tank. Saves me from any leaking problems and I have had no problems with dry hits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A buddy of mine has one I helped build an SS mesh wick for. He didn't care for it and put dual silica in it instead (in genesis mode).

I just had to snatch one up for myself during vaporbank's spring sale but haven't built it yet. I think I'll try dripper mode first since it looks like it could be quite the killer dripper and I already have five gennies... something like the IGO-L (which I also have and like) but bigger!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The insulator where the positive post meets the spring melted on mine before I got a chance to use it. 1.4 ohms on a battery used for about half a day...image.jpg

Now I'm just using the agi cap on my aga-t with some o rings from my phiniac tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinister View Post
    The insulator where the positive post meets the spring melted on mine before I got a chance to use it. 1.4 ohms on a battery used for about half a day...image.jpg

Now I'm just using the agi cap on my aga-t with some o rings from my phiniac tank.
    That is one thing that UD can't get right, their insulators are really weak. I replace all of my 510 insulators with a #60 o-ring so the positive pin has something to actually hold it in place.

I can see the Saturn V rocket over at Spacecamp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info on the AGI here. I've been looking for my entry into rebuildables, and the AGI has made it to my shortest short list.

You both mention the distance from the wick hole to the center post will be prone to causing a hot spot on the top coil. What talent/technique would overcome this?

And Griffin, thanks for the idea of using a 'convertable' silica wick from tank to RDA. I can see that being very handy if it wicks well from the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoore View Post
    Thanks for all the info on the AGI here. I've been looking for my entry into rebuildables, and the AGI has made it to my shortest short list.

You both mention the distance from the wick hole to the center post will be prone to causing a hot spot on the top coil. What talent/technique would overcome this?

And Griffin, thanks for the idea of using a 'convertable' silica wick from tank to RDA. I can see that being very handy if it wicks well from the tank.
    Getting the wick as close as you can for starters, then making sure the top coil is not overly tight, bot not hanging off the wick (has to at least touch). The figure 8 wrapping style on the top coil is a must. The throw some juice on the bare coil with the cap off and bump the fire button on your mod, and repeat this several times until the coil doesn't glow at the top.

Figure 8 wrapping:

If that is not clear you would wrap just the one full time around the center connection (+) then cut the excess wire off where the arrow is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you wrap the legs to the post, how should the legs be wrapped? Should the wrap that goes over the silica be wrapped around the positive post or negative post?

I set it up in drip mode but it hasn't been going well. It spits hot e-juice all over the place and it smells burnt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by proper View Post
    When you wrap the legs to the post, how should the legs be wrapped? Should the wrap that goes over the silica be wrapped around the positive post or negative post?

I set it up in drip mode but it hasn't been going well. It spits hot e-juice all over the place and it smells burnt!
    Do you have a picture of your set up be chance? That will help me walk you through it.